Spooky Halloween Tree
Write a review
- box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white or yellow cake mix
- cup shortening
- cup butter or margarine, softened
- teaspoon vanilla
- Orange liquid or paste food color, as desired
- 1 Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick pans). In large bowl, beat all ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until thoroughly mixed.
- 2 Divide dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough 1/4 inch thick using cloth-covered rolling pin. With 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes, cutting out eyes, nose, etc., if desired, using sharp knife. On ungreased cookie sheets, place shapes.
- 3 Bake 6 to 8 minutes or just until set (centers will be soft). Cool 1 minute. Immediately make hole in tops of some cookies, using end of plastic straw; trim any cut edges with sharp knife to straighten. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely.
- 4 Tie ribbon or yarn through holes to hang. Hang ornaments on tree branches anchored in a pot or on Halloween tree (available at craft stores). Decorate remaining cookies as desired, and store covered.
- It’s a snap to make this "boo-tiful" centerpiece base. Place a 12- to 16-inch tree branch in a 4-inch clay pot anchored with rocks. Cover the top with Spanish moss found at craft stores.
- Use the remaining dough scraps after you’ve cut out your cookie shapes to make more cutouts. Combine the scraps (handling them as little as possible) and re-roll the dough on a very lightly floured surface.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/