White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread
Write a review
- cup of maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 2 1/2
- cups of all-purpose flour
- cup of sugar
- cup of cold butter
- ounces of white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter, finely chopped
- teaspoon of almond extract
- drops red food coloring (optional)
- teaspoons of shortening
- White nonpareils and/or red edible glitter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread cherries on paper towels to drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in drained cherries and 4 ounces (2/3 cup) of the chopped chocolate. Stir in almond extract and, if desired, food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.
- Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten balls to 1-1/2-inch rounds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Dip half of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. If desired, roll dipped edge in nonpareils and/or edible glitter. Place cookies on waxed paper until chocolate is set.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/