Write a review
- box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil's food cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Tray or cardboard covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
- containers Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
- cup orange candy melts
- cup red candy melts
- cup yellow candy melts
- chocolate hazelnut-filled tubular-shaped wafer cookies, broken in half
- pieces candy corn
- candy-coated chocolate candies (yellow, brown and orange)
- red heart-shaped candy
- miniature creme-filled peanut butter sandwich cookies
- Hershey’s® Kisses® Brand milk chocolates, unwrapped
- miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- jumbo gumdrops (yellow, orange or red)
- 1 Heat oven to 325°F. Grease 8-inch round cake pan with shortening; coat with flour (do not use cooking spray). Lightly grease 6 muffin cups in regular-size muffin pan.
- 2 Make cake batter as directed on box. Pour batter into 6 muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Pour remaining batter (about 4 cups) into round pan. Bake cupcakes 17 to 21 minutes, round 47 to 53 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cakes from muffin cups and pan; place rounded sides up on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 1 hour. If necessary, cut off rounded tops of cakes.
- 3 Use serrated knife to cut about one-third off round cake to make 2 pieces, 1 larger than the other, both with a straight edge. Spread about 1 tablespoon frosting on cut side of larger cake layer. Stand larger cake layer, cut side down, on tray or serving platter. Spread about 1 tablespoon frosting on cut side of smaller layer; stand cut side down in front of larger layer. Lightly press layers together to form the 2 layers of the turkey cake, using photo as a guide.
- 4 Place 1 cupcake, top end out, on cake layers, using photo as a guide. Save or freeze remaining cupcakes for another use. Spread a thin layer of frosting over entire cake to seal in crumbs. Refrigerate or freeze cake 30 to 60 minutes to set frosting. Reserve 2 tablespoons frosting in small bowl. Frost cake with remaining frosting.
- 5 Place candy melts in 3 small microwavable bowls; microwave each uncovered as directed on bag. Stir until smooth. Dip ends of tubular-shaped wafer cookies into different colors candy coating. Using toothpicks, insert broken cookie ends into large cake layer, pressing firmly to hold in place. Decorate with candy corn, candy-coated chocolate candies and heart-shaped candy, using photo as a guide.
- 6 To make each acorn, gently twist peanut butter sandwich cookies apart. Use reserved 2 tablespoons frosting to adhere milk chocolate candy to inner side of 1 peanut butter cookie. Use frosting to adhere miniature chocolate chip to top of acorn for stem.
- 7 To make gumdrop leaves, roll each gumdrop on sugared surface to 1/4 inch thick. Use small canapé cutters to cut desired shapes. Store loosely covered. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/