Slow-Cooker Mexican Fire Roasted Tomato-Chicken Soup
Write a review
- lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- carton (32 oz) Progresso® chicken broth (4 cups)
- cups Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers® Niblets® frozen corn (from 12-oz bag)
- can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
- sweet red bell pepper, chopped
- medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- soft corn tortillas (6 inch), cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- tablespoon chili powder
- teaspoon ground cumin
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- cup chopped fresh cilantro
- tablespoons vegetable oil
- Lime wedges, if desired
- Chopped avocado, if desired
- 1 Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. in slow cooker, mix chicken, broth, corn, tomatoes, black beans, bell pepper, onion, tortilla strips from 6 of the tortillas, the chili powder, cumin, salt, red pepper and cilantro.
- 2 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 7 hours (or on High heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F).
- 3 Remove chicken; shred with 2 forks. Return to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro.
- 4 In 9-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook remaining tortilla strips in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp and light golden brown. Top individual servings of soup with tortilla strips. Garnish with lime wedges and avocado.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/