Roasted Veggie Chili Recipe
Write a review
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups each cubed zucchini, yellow summer squash and eggplant
- 2 each medium green peppers and sweet red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) tomato puree
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, optional
- Place the vegetables and garlic in a roasting pan. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Cover and bake at 400° for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly. Remove and chop garlic cloves.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the broth, tomatoes, tomato puree, lime juice, chili powder, cayenne and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-35 minutes or until mixture is reduced by a quarter.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir until bubbly and starting to brown. Slowly whisk into tomato mixture. Add roasted vegetables, garlic, beans and cilantro; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, until chili reaches desired thickness. Garnish with sour cream and green onions if desired. Yield: 24 servings (6 quarts).
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/