Red Velvet Triple-Stacked Cupcakes
Write a review
- box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® German chocolate cake mix
- cup water
- cup vegetable oil
- tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- bottle (1 oz) red food color (about 2 tablespoons)
- jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- cup butter, softened
- to 5 teaspoons milk or water
- cups powdered sugar
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- 2 In large bowl, beat cupcake ingredients on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (about two-thirds full).
- 3 Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate uncovered 1 hour.
- 4 In large bowl, beat marshmallow creme, butter and 3 teaspoons of the milk with electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk until smooth and spreadable.
- 5 To assemble, remove paper baking cups, and cut cupcakes in half horizontally. Set aside 16 cupcake tops. Pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting onto cut side of 16 cupcake bottoms; top each with another cupcake top or bottom. Pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting on each cupcake. Top with reserved cupcake tops. Pipe frosting on cupcake tops. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Store in refrigerator until serving.
- You can use devil's food cake mix in place of the German chocolate cake mix. When making the cupcake batter, omit the 2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/