Holiday Snow Globe Cake Recipe
Write a review
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Frosted Christmas Tree (see below)
- Porcelain snowman ornament
- 8-inch glass bubble bowl (about 6-inch opening)
- Line bottoms of two greased 8-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, beating well. Beat in rum. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coconut milk, beating well after each addition.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- If cake layers have rounded tops, trim with a long serrated knife to make level; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, bottom side down. Spread jam over top to within 3/4 in. of edge; top with 1/2 cup whipped cream. Place second cake layer over whipped cream, bottom side up.
- Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, place Frosted Christmas Tree and snowman on center of cake. Carefully invert bowl over top. Yield: 12 servings.
- FROSTED CHRISTMAS TREE: Lightly brush a small star-shaped sugar cookie with corn syrup; sprinkle with silver edible glitter. For tree, tint canned vanilla frosting with green paste food coloring. Stack two ice cream sugar cones. Using a #32 open star tip, pipe tree branches onto top cone to resemble a pine tree. Decorate with candy-coated sunflower kernels or colored sprinkles; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place star cookie at top.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/