Halloween Cutout Cookies Recipe
Write a review
- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Green paste food coloring
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Chocolate wafers, crushed Shredded Wheat, M&M's miniature baking bits, miniature semisweet chocolate chips and Fruit Roll-Ups
- Let cookie dough stand at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften. In a small bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-1/2-in. Christmas tree-shaped cookie cutter, a 3-in. candy cane-shaped cookie cutter and a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut each star in half. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For witches: Tint a portion of vanilla frosting green. Frost the bottom two-thirds of a tree cookie green; frost the top third with chocolate frosting.
- For witches' hats, microwave chocolate wafers for a few seconds to slightly soften as needed. Use a serrated knife to cut a triangle out of one wafer. Cut another wafer in half, forming two hat brims. Place a triangle over chocolate frosting; add a brim.
- Add Shredded Wheat for hair. Add facial features with baking bits, chocolate chips and cut up pieces of Fruit Roll-Ups.
- For snakes: Frost candy cane cookies as desired. Cut Fruit Roll-Ups into triangles; attach to cookies. Add facial features.
- For bats: Frost halved star cookies with chocolate frosting. For ears, microwave chocolate wafers for a few seconds to slightly soften as needed. Use a serrated knife to cut small triangles; attach to cookies. Add facial features as desired. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/