Granny’s Quilt Cake
Write a review
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 3/4 containers (12 oz each) Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting
- 1/3 cup multicolored (rainbow) sanding sugar
- 1/3 cup clear sanding sugar
- 12 green miniature marshmallows
- 6 yellow miniature marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon green sanding sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow sanding sugar
- 6 yellow edible jumbo sugar pearls
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray. Make and bake cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan, using water, oil and eggs. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 2 On 13x9-inch cake board or platter, place cake upside-down. Cover surface of cake with 1 container of the frosting, using off-set spatula. Refrigerate cake 45 minutes or until frosting is firm.
- 3 Apply second coat of frosting to cake, evening surface and filling any gaps that may be present at bottom edge of cake.
- 4 Score top of cake with dull edge of large knife to make 12 squares. Decorate alternate squares with multicolored sanding sugar. Fill in remaining squares with clear sanding sugar.
- 5 For flowers, cut each marshmallow in half using clean kitchen scissors. Dip green marshmallow halves into green sanding sugar; dip yellow marshmallow halves into yellow sanding sugar. The sugar will coat cut edges of marshmallows. Place dime-size dot of frosting in center of each white square on cake. Arrange 5 marshmallow “petals” into flower shape, sugared-side-up, on top of each frosting dot; press to adhere. Press yellow sugar pearl into center of each flower. Store cake loosely covered.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/