Christmas Cookie Tree
Write a review
- 2 rolls (18 ounces each) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2 to 3 tubes (4-1/4 ounces) green decorator icing with tips
- 1 tube (4-1/4 ounces) yellow decorator icing
- 1 tube (4-1/4 ounces) red decorator icing
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut parchment baking paper to fit two large baking sheets. Tape two large sheets of parchment to work surface with masking tape. Unwrap one roll of cold dough and roll out to 1/4-inch thick on parchment. Flour rolling pin as necessary to keep dough from sticking. With small sharp knife, cut out one 7-inch circle* and one 6-1/2-inch circle. Untape parchment and transfer circles onto on baking sheet. Wrap remaining dough in plastic wrap and return to refrigerator.
- *Use a compass to draw 12 circles, each one 1/2 inch smaller, on parchment paper; cut out and use as patterns to cut dough circles. For a "free-form" look, use various bowls, glasses, and biscuit cutters to trace and cut out 12 graduated circles.
- Unwrap second roll of cold dough and repeat process, cutting out 6-inch circle and 5-1/2-inch circle. Transfer onto second baking sheet and bake both sheets 10 to 14 minutes, checking for doneness after 10 minutes. Cookies should be light golden brown. Remove from oven; cool 2 to 3 minutes until firm, then slide parchment paper and cookies onto racks. Cool completely before removing from parchment.
- Continue repeating steps, making 8 more circles, each 1/2 inch smaller in diameter. Reduce baking time as circles get smaller.
- To assemble tree, secure largest cookie to serving platter with dab of frosting. Using leaf tip and green icing, pipe leaves around outer edge of cookie. Place large dab of frosting in center of cookie. Add next biggest cookie and repeat. Continue adding cookies, largest to smallest.
- With small plain tip, pipe yellow garlands around tree. Use red frosting to add "ornaments." Pipe additional decorations, if desired.
- Serve cookies individually by separating layers or cut into pieces using serrated knife.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/