Candy Cane Cake
Write a review
- box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
- teaspoon red food color
- teaspoon peppermint extract
- White Icing
- cup powdered sugar
- tablespoon milk or water
- teaspoon vanilla, if desired
- Crushed candy canes or crushed hard peppermint candies, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Generously grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan. Make cake batter as directed on box. Pour about 2 cups batter into pan. In small bowl, pour about 3/4 cup batter; stir in food color and peppermint extract. Carefully pour pink batter over white batter in pan. Carefully pour remaining white batter over pink batter.
- 2 Bake and cool cake as directed on box.
- 3 In small bowl, mix white icing ingredients. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Spread over cake. Sprinkle crushed candy on top. Store loosely covered.
- Fluted tube cake pans can be a challenge to grease. Try this: Place a dab of shortening on the outside of a small food-storage plastic bag. Slip the bag on your hand and rub shortening on the inside of the pan. Repeat with more shortening until every nook and cranny is greased. Give the inside of the pan a good sprinkling with flour, shake excess from pan, and your baked cake will slip right out!
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/