Cherry-Glazed Turkey with Dried Cherry-Apple Stuffing
Write a review
- whole turkey (12 lb), thawed if frozen
- tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- cup butter or margarine
- large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- package (16 oz) herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- medium red apples, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 1/2
- cups dried cherries
- cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2
- cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz container)
- cup cherry preserves or jam
- cup ruby port or chicken broth
- 1 Heat oven to 325°F. Grease 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with shortening or cooking spray; set aside. Remove and discard neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse turkey inside and out with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. In small bowl, mix sage, salt and pepper; rub into turkey skin.
- 2 In 8-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. In large bowl, thoroughly mix cooked onion and remaining stuffing ingredients.
- 3 Turn turkey breast side down. Fill neck cavity lightly with 1 cup of the stuffing (do not pack stuffing because it will expand during roasting). Fasten neck skin of turkey to back with skewer.
- 4 Turn turkey breast side up. Fold wings across back of turkey so tips are touching. Fill body cavity lightly with 3 cups of the stuffing (do not pack stuffing because it will expand during roasting). Place remaining stuffing in baking dish. Cover with foil; refrigerate until ready to bake. Tuck legs under band of skin at tail (if present), or tie together with heavy string.
- 5 On rack in shallow roasting pan, place turkey, breast side up. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh and does not touch bone.
- 6 Cover turkey loosely with foil or roaster cover; roast 3 hours. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix glaze ingredients; set aside.
- 7 Uncover turkey and place foil-covered baking dish with stuffing in oven. Roast 45 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes longer, brushing turkey with glaze frequently, until thermometer reads 165°F and drumsticks move easily when lifted or twisted. Thermometer inserted in center of stuffing in turkey should read 165°F. Remove baking dish with stuffing from oven after 40 to 50 minutes of baking time or when thoroughly heated (165°F).
- 8 Place turkey on warm platter; cover with foil to keep warm. Let stand about 15 minutes for easiest carving. Cover and refrigerate any remaining turkey and stuffing separately.
- Cherry preserves and ruby port give a rich, deep mahogany color and slightly sweet flavor to the turkey. Substitute cherry juice for the port if desired.
- Use fresh herbs, cherries and plums to decorate to decorate the platter.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/