Candy Apple Jack o’ Lanterns
Write a review
- 8 medium apples
- 8 cinnamon sticks (6 inch) or craft sticks (flat wooden sticks with round ends)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange paste food color
- Powdered sugar
- 2 oz black fondant, if desired
- 1 tube (4.25 oz) Betty Crocker® green decorating icing
- 1 Line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper. Wash and dry apples; remove stem and blossom ends. Insert stick into stem end of each apple.
- 2 In 3-quart heavy saucepan, mix granulated sugar, water, corn syrup and food color. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil uncovered 15 minutes, without stirring, to 300°F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into cup of very cold water separates into hard, brittle threads. (Watch carefully so mixture does not burn.) Immediately remove from heat. Let stand until bubbling stops.
- 3 Dip each apple into hot sugar mixture, turning to coat and letting excess drip off. Place on cookie sheet. Let stand until set.
- 4 On surface lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar, roll fondant to 1/8-inch thickness. Using paring knife, cut out eyes, nose and mouth for each jack- o’-lantern. Attach leaf tip to icing tube; pipe leaves on each apple. Remove leaf tip from icing tube; attach small round tip. Pipe vines. Use icing to attach eyes, nose and mouth to each apple, pressing gently. Let stand until set.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/