Apple pie bites on a stick for Fall
Write a review
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 1 small ice cream scoop*
- 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust (Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts used here)
- 3-inch circle cookie cutter
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus additional
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus additional
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- rolling pin
- sticks or skewers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Pare and core the apple. Use the scoop or just a knife to make apple chunks about 1-inch to 1 1/4-inch across. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and the nutmeg. Dip and roll the apple pieces in the sugar mixture until fully coated.
- Unroll a refrigerated pie crust and cut out circles with the cutter. Gather the scraps and re-roll on a floured surface about 1/8-inch thick. Cut out remaining circles. You’ll need one for each apple piece. Place a sugar-coated apple piece in the center of a pie crust circle and gather the pie crust around the top of the apple and pinch to seal. (Some of the apple may peek through at the top.) Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining pie crust circles and apple pieces. Beat the egg with a couple teaspoons of water, and brush over the pie crusts. Use the remaining sugar mixture, or, mix more cinnamon and sugar together, and sprinkle over the apple pies.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes until the crusts are browned. Remove from the oven and insert the sticks. As the pie bites cool, the sticks will become more secure. (More secure, not totally secure, so don’t go waving these around.) Makes about 10 bites.
- * I used a small scoop 1 1/4-inch in diameter. You don’t really need an ice cream scoop since my apple “balls” were more “chunks” anyway, you could use a knife to cut pieces about 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch cubed.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/