Stuffed Green Peppers
Write a review
- cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- cup water
- large green bell peppers
- lb. lean ground beef
- cup chopped celery
- tablespoons chopped onion
- teaspoon salt
- cup ketchup
- medium tomato, chopped
- (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- teaspoon sugar
- teaspoon dried basil leaves
- oz. (1/4 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Cut tops from bell peppers; remove membrane and seeds. In large saucepan, bring enough water to cover peppers to a boil. Add peppers; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Drain; set peppers aside.
- In large skillet, combine ground beef, celery and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Add cooked rice, salt, pepper, ketchup and tomato; mix well. Spoon mixture into peppers. Place peppers in ungreased shallow baking pan.
- In small bowl, combine tomato sauce, sugar and basil; mix well. Spoon half of sauce over peppers.
- Bake at 350°F. for 30 to 40 minutes or until peppers are tender, spooning remaining sauce over peppers and sprinkling with cheese during last 5 minutes of baking.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/