Starlight Mint Cake
Write a review
- pkg. (2-layer size) white cake mix
- cup boiling water
- pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Cherry Flavor Gelatin
- starlight mints, divided
- oz. BAKER'S White Chocolate, melted
- Tbsp. BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
- drops red food coloring
- cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
- PREPARE cake batter and bake as directed on package for 2 (9-inch) round cake layers. Cool cakes in pans 15 min. Pierce cakes with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals. Add boiling water to gelatin mix; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Pour over cakes. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Reserve 5 mints for later use. Place 12 of the remaining mints, about 4 inches apart, on parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Bake 5 min. or until mints are melted and each spreads out to 1-1/2- to 2-inch circle. Remove from oven; cool completely before removing from parchment paper. Meanwhile, repeat with remaining 11 mints.
- BLEND 5 reserved mints in blender until finely crushed; place in small bowl. Stir in melted chocolate, sour cream and food coloring.
- DIP bottom of 1 cake pan in warm water 10 sec.; unmold onto serving plate. Spread cake with chocolate mixture. Unmold second cake layer; place on first layer. Frost with COOL WHIP. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Decorate with melted mints.
- How to Bend Candy
- To create a curvy effect on each melted candy, use a metal spatula to carefully remove melted candy from parchment while still warm and pliable. Slide candy onto the handle of a wooden spoon or any other object that will bend the candy. Cool completely before using to decorate cake.
- For variety, prepare using green or orange starlight mints.
- How to Melt Chocolate
- For a quick and foolproof method, melt chocolate as directed in the "Easy Microwave Melting" directions on package.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/