Spiced Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Write a review
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 ounce shaved bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Remove 2 sheets of plastic from All-Purpose Light Piecrust dough. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Fold edges under; flute. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork; freeze 10 minutes. Line bottom of dough with a piece of foil; arrange pie weights or dried beans on foil. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until browned. Remove weights and foil. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. Combine pumpkin and next 6 ingredients (through egg yolks) in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Stir in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Sprinkle gelatin over orange juice in a small microwave-safe bowl; let stand 1 minute. Microwave at HIGH 15 seconds, stirring until gelatin dissolves. Stir gelatin mixture into pumpkin mixture. Cool.
- 4. Place 2 egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until frothy. Gradually add 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Combine remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 250°. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into pumpkin mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Pour into cooled crust. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.
- 5. Place cream in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Spread evenly over pie; top with chocolate. Cut into wedges.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/