Snowflake Cake Recipe
Write a review
- 3-1/2 cups shortening
- 7-1/2 cups sugar
- 30 egg whites
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (13.66 ounces each) coconut milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
DECORATIONS AND ASSEMBLY
- 11 wooden dowels (eight 2-3/4 inches x 1/4 inch, three 3 inches x 1/4 inch)
- 3 cardboard cake circles (one 8 inch, two 5 inch)
- 3 packages (1-1/2 pounds each) ready-to-use rolled white fondant
- Assorted snowflake cookie cutters
- White edible glitter
- 1 small new paintbrush
- Additional clear vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 drops blue food coloring
- Pastry bag and round pastry tip #4
- Rock candy
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. In another bowl, combine the egg whites, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with egg white mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour 2 cups batter into each of four greased and floured 6-in. round baking pans. Pour 3 cups batter into each of four greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. For 6-in. pans, bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. For 9-in. pans, bake at 350° for 27-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (Smaller cake pans have a deeper fill and need to bake longer.) Cool the cakes for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling: In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in coconut milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature. Cover surface of filling with waxed paper; refrigerate until cooled. Stir in coconut.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- To assemble cake: Level cake tops if necessary. Place a 9-in. cake on a serving plate; spread with 1-1/4 cups filling. Top with second 9-in. cake; spread top with 3/4 cup frosting. Insert four 2-3/4-in. wooden dowels 1 to 2 in. apart into center of cake to support the next layers.
- Place third 9-in. cake on an 8-in. cardboard circle; place over cake on platter. Spread with 1-1/4 cups filling. Top with remaining 9-in. cake. Frost top and sides of cake with about 2 cups frosting, forming a crumb coating. Roll out 1-1/4 pounds of fondant into a 21-in. circle. Drape over cake and gently smooth, working from the center. Trim ends. Insert four 2-3/4-in. dowels 1 to 2 in. apart into center of cake. Set aside.
- On a work surface, place a 6-in. cake on a 5-in. cardboard circle. Spread with 1 cup filling; top with second 6-in. cake. Spread top with 1/2 cup frosting. Insert remaining dowels 1 to 2 in. apart into center of cake. Place third 6-in. cake on remaining cardboard circle and position on dowels; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with remaining cake. Frost top and sides of cake with about 1-1/4 cups frosting. Roll out 1-1/4 pounds of fondant into an 18-in. circle. Drape over cake and gently smooth, working from the center. Trim ends. Gently place 6-in. layer cake on 9-in. layer cake.
- Roll out remaining fondant to an 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with snowflake cookie cutters. Reroll scraps if desired. Place glitter in a small bowl. Press one side of each snowflake into glitter. With a paintbrush, brush vanilla over plain sides of snowflakes; secure onto cake.
- In a small bowl, beat food coloring and remaining frosting until smooth. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry bag; insert pastry tip. Fill with blue frosting; pipe desired design over cake. Decorate with rock candy. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 40 servings.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/