You don't need fancy holiday cookie cutters for these cuties. Just cut refrigerated cookie dough into simple shapes and decorate for a w(ho-ho-ho)le lot of fun.
Write a review
- roll Pillsbury® refrigerated sugar cookies
- cup all-purpose flour
- Additional 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- cup vanilla creamy ready-to-spread frosting (from 1-lb container)
- Red food color (liquid or paste)
- Miniature candy-coated chocolate baking bits and/or chocolate chips
- 1 Heat oven to 350ºF. In large bowl, break up cookie dough. Stir or knead in 1/4 cup flour until well blended. Remove half the dough, and refrigerate remaining dough until needed. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour onto work surface. With floured rolling pin, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick.
- 2 With cookie cutters, cut dough into 2 1/2-inch rounds, ovals, stars and half moon shapes (see shapes in photo). On ungreased cookie sheets, place shapes 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining half of dough and flour.
- 3 Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- 4 In small bowl, mix frosting and food color until well blended and desired red color. Decorate each cookie to look like Santa with red frosting and baking bits.
- Paste colors can be found at baking supply stores or at craft stores with the cake decorating supplies. Since paste colors produce an intense deep color, use a small amount. Store paste colors at room temperature.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/