Write a review
- 12 vanilla caramels, unwrapped (one-fourth of a 14-ounce package)
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 10 ounce bag marshmallows (about 39)
- Marshmallow creme (optional)
- 53 pretzel sticks
- 1 cup chopped pistachios, toasted coconut, toffee pieces, and/or 1/3 cup nonpareils
- 4 ounces bittersweet, semisweet, or milk chocolate pieces
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Orange-color miniature candy-coated semisweet chocolate pieces or other tiny round candies
- Line a large baking sheet with foil; butter the foil. Set aside. In a small saucepan, combine caramels, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is melted and smooth.
- 2. Using kitchen scissors, cut one-third of the marshmallows in half crosswise.* Place each marshmallow half, sticky side down, on top of a whole marshmallow. Press together gently. If necessary, spread a small amount of marshmallow creme between the marshmallow pieces to hold them together. For arms, insert a pretzel stick into two opposite sides of each whole marshmallow.
- 3. Dip bottom third of each of the marshmallow stacks into melted caramel mixture. Allow excess to drip off. Place dipped marshmallows on prepared baking sheet.
- 4. Place pistachios, coconut, toffee pieces, and/or nonpareils in separate small bowls. In another small saucepan, combine chocolate and shortening. Heat and stir chocolate mixture over low heat until melted and smooth.
- 5. Dip each caramel-coated marshmallow stack in melted chocolate, covering the bottom of stack with chocolate. Allow excess to drip off. Immediately dip chocolate-covered marshmallow in pistachios, coconut, toffee bits, and/or nonpareils. Return marshmallow stack to baking sheet. Let stand about 30 minutes or until chocolate sets.
- 6. Re-melt chocolate in saucepan over low heat, if necessary. Place snowmen on their backs. To make eyes and buttons, dip one end of a remaining pretzel stick into melted chocolate and dab chocolate onto snowmen. For a nose, dab on some chocolate and attach a small orange-color candy. Let stand about 5 minutes more or until dry. Makes about 26 snowmen.
- If your kitchen scissors get sticky when cutting marshmallows, coat them with nonstick cooking spray or dip them in hot water
- Layer snowmen between pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/