DIY Candycorn Marshmallows
Write a review
- 1/4 cup cornstarch for coating
- 3 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin / one envelope is approximately 7grams of gelatin, 2 1/4 tsp to 2 1/2tsp/
- 1/2 cup cold water,divided
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large egg whites, or reconstituted powdered egg white/meringue powder/ *
- 1tbl vanilla*
- 1/2tsp lemon
- 1/2tsp almond
- food coloring : yellow and orange gel food coloring
- * one egg white = 2 level tsp of powdered egg white plus 2 Tbl of warm water. I use Wilton's Meringue powder.
- note: I doubled this recipe to achieve the height of the marshmallows.
- PREPARE THE PAN
- Oil the bottom and sides of a 13x9 inch rectangular metal baking pan and line it with parchment paper. I use Pam spray along and it works great.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer or in the large bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup of cold water and let stand to soften.
- SUGAR SYRUP
- In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, second 1/2 cup of cold water and salt over medium - low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Using a pastry brush brush the sides of the pan with water. Increase the heat to medium and boil the mixture, WITHOUT STIRRING, until a candy or a digital thermometer registers 240F, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and pour sugar over the gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
- MIXING SUGAR MIXTURE
- With a stand mixer mixer beat on high speed until white, thick and nearly tripled in volume, about 5-7 minutes.
- EGG WHITES
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Beat egg whites and vanilla into sugar mixture until just combined.
- Divide mixture into 3 equal part, into a separate bowls. Using a hand held mixer color one with yellow, orange and leave one white. To yellow add lemon extract to orange add almond and white will be vanilla.
- Pour white mixture into a prepared pan. Using a spatula that you oiled or sprayed with Pam spray smooth the top. Follow with orange mixture and then yellow. Gently spread the mixtures on top of each other. Chill until firm, uncovered at least 3 hours, or up to a day.
- Run a thin knife around the edges of a pan and invert the pan onto a large cutting board lined with parchment paper and sprayed with PAM spray . Loosen marshmallow with your fingers and ease onto cutting board. Cut marshmallow into a 1 1/4 inch cubes.Easy tool to use is a pizza cutter, just spray it with some Pam spray or brush with oil, it work very well.
- COATING WITH CORN STARCH
- In a separate bowl coat all the marshmallow cubes with cornstarch, then place marshmallows into a fine metal sieve and shake off the excess corn starch.
- Store marshmallows in an airtight container, for up to a week.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/