Write a review
- cup butter, softened
- cup shortening
- cup sugar
- teaspoon almond extract
- egg, slightly beaten
- 2 1/4
- cups all purpose flour
- teaspoon baking powder
- teaspoon salt
- Food color
- Sugar, colored sugar or multi-colored candy sprinkles, if desired
- 1 In large bowl, combine butter and shortening; beat well. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until light and fluffy. Add almond extract and egg; blend well.
- 2 Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix at low speed until well blended and dough forms. Knead or stir a few drops of food color into dough. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
- 3 Heat oven to 400°F. Fit cookie press with desired template. Fill press with dough. Press dough 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 4 Bake at 400°F. for 5 to 8 minutes or until cookies are set and edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.
- Instead of decorating these cookies with the traditional colored sugar or sprinkles, dip them or drizzle them with melted dark and white chocolate.
- For a flavorful twist on a traditional favorite, add 1 to 2 teaspoons grated orange peel to the spritz dough.
- Children enjoy remembering their teachers during the holidays with special treats such as cookies and bars. Encourage them to be creative by packaging the goodies in recycled shortening cans, coffee cans or potato chip containers. Have the children clean the containers and decorate them with festive gift wrap or paper illustrated with their own designs.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/