Caramel Almond Poke Cake
Write a review
- boxes Betty Crocker® pound cake mix
- 1 1/3
- cups water or milk
- cup butter or margarine, softened
- cups whipping cream
- cup packed dark brown sugar
- cup butter or margarine
- teaspoon vanilla
- can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- cup unblanched whole almonds, coarsely chopped, toasted
- cup Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy vanilla frosting (from 1-lb container)
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9-inch pan with shortening. Make cake mix as directed on box, using water, 1/2 cup butter and the eggs. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on cooling rack 30 minutes.
- 2 In 2-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream, brown sugar and 1/4 cup butter to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool slightly.
- 3 Poke warm cake every inch with handle of wooden spoon. Slowly pour condensed milk over cake. Let stand until milk has been absorbed into cake, about 5 minutes. Slowly drizzle with most of caramel sauce, pressing slightly into holes. Sprinkle with almonds. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce. Cool completely. In small microwavable bowl, microwave frosting on High 10 to 15 seconds. Drizzle over cake. Cut into 6 rows by 3 rows.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/