Peter Rabbit Cake
Write a review
- 1 package (2-layer size) cake mix, any variety
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 containers (12 ounces each) whipped vanilla frosting
- McCormick® Assorted NEON! Food Colors & Egg Dye
- McCormick® Assorted Food Colors & Egg Dye
- 4 cups flaked coconut
- 1 round cookie, (3-inch)
- 2 red fruit chew candies, (such as Jolly Ranchers)
- 2 white flat mints
- 2 small round chocolate-covered mints, (such as Junior Mints)
- Black licorice strings
- Red licorice strings
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding vanilla to batter. Bake as directed on package in 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. Cool cake layers on wire rack.
- Tint 1 1/4 cups of the frosting blue, using 3 drops blue NEON Food Color. Tint 1/3 cup of the frosting bright pink, using 4 drops red Food Color. Tint 1/4 cup of the frosting yellow, using 7 drops yellow Food Color. Spoon bright pink and yellow frostings into separate resealable plastic bags. Tint remaining frosting light pink, using 3 to 4 drops red Food Color.
- Place 3 cups of the coconut in resealable plastic bag. Add 6 to 7 drops pink NEON Food Color to coconut in bag. Shake until coconut is evenly tinted. Tint remaining 1 cup coconut with 4 drops blue NEON Food Color.
- Leave 1 cake layer whole. Cut remaining cake layer into 3 pieces as shown in diagram. Arrange on platter to resemble a rabbit’s head and bow tie. Cover head and ears with light pink frosting. Press pink coconut around side of head and outer edges of face. Sprinkle pink coconut on top of ears. Cover bow tie with blue frosting. Drag small spatula across the frosting on top of the bow tie to make lines. Spread blue frosting on 1 side of the cookie. Press blue coconut into frosting. Press cookie into center of bow tie. Press blue coconut on 2 sides of the bow tie.
- Snip a small corner from each bag of tinted frosting. Pipe bright yellow dots all over bow tie. Pipe two 2 1/2-inch circles of bright pink frosting on the face for the cheeks.
- Press red fruit chew candies together. Microwave on HIGH 3 seconds or until softened. Shape into a 1 1/2-inch triangle. Press into the center of the face for the nose. Press the 2 white flat mints just above the nose for the eyes. Attach the chocolate-covered mints to the flat mints with a drop of frosting for the pupils. Use the black licorice strings for the mouth, whiskers and eye lashes. Use the red licorice string to outline the edges of the ears.
Holiday Cottage http://www.holidaycottagepage.com/